The Ostomy Association of Los Angeles (OALA) is a non-profit, volunteer-based support association dedicated to improving the quality of life of anyone who has or will have an intestinal or urinary diversion.
OALA provides emotional support, education, information, networking opportunities and advocacy to its members, their families, the medical community, and general public in Los Angeles and surrounding communities.
OALA is an Affiliated Support Group of the United Ostomy Associations of America.
The OALA fulfills its mission by:
- Providing a forum for members and their families and friends to share their personal experiences, gain emotional support and mutual understanding, and build hope and reassurance.
- Providing emotional and informational support to new ostomates, or anyone considering an intestinal or urinary diversion, through telephone, in-hospital and/or in-home visits by trained OALA members.
- Raising awareness, providing education, and disseminating information about intestinal and urinary diversions through face-to-face outreach activities.
- Connecting members to information about ostomy products and local and national ostomy manufacturers and distributors.
- Connecting members to resources in the medical community (e.g. UOAA, ACS, WOCN, CCFA, AUA, etc.)
- Informing members of activities and news of other related support associations.